Chef Shares: Almond-Ricotta Cake
This delicious and light dessert will be a welcomed addition to your springtime meals. Bring out the inner Chef in you!
- 100 g (3 oz /1/2 scant cup) unsalted butter
- 150 ml (5 fl oz /1/3 scant cup) honey
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs separated
- 140 g (5 oz/1 1/4 cups) almond meal
- 125 g (4 1/2 oz/1 cup) fine cornmeal
- 250 g (9 oz/1 cup) ricotta cheese
- 45 g (1 ½ oz/ ½ cup) slivered almonds
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the base of an 8-in springform pan with parchment paper and set it aside. Place the butter, half of the honey, the lemon zest, and vanilla in a bowl and use an electric mixer to beat everything until creamy. Add the egg yolks and continue to beat for a further minute. Add the almond flour, cornmeal, and ricotta, and fold everything together.
Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks. Add the remaining honey and continue whisking until soft peak again and well blended. Slowly fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
Turn the mixture into the prepared springform pan and sprinkle the almonds evenly over the top. Bake for 40–50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The center of the cake might look slightly wobbly at first, but it will firm up when the cake cools down.
Leave to cool completely before removing it from the tin. Serve with your favorite ice cream.