Chef Shares: Bread Pudding Recipe For Fall
This homestyle bread pudding recipe uses simple ingredients to create bold warm flavors. This classic comfort food dish is sure to be a tasty favorite this autumn season.
- Bread Pudding with Bourbon Marinated Dried Fruits
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, diced 2 cups bourbon
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 loaf egg-based dough, like brioche or challah, diced
- Begin in a small saucepot, add all the dried fruits and bourbon with water and cook for 20 minutes until all the fruit has absorbed the bourbon. Set aside.
- In another small saucepot, bring the milk, heavy cream and sugar to a scald about 15 minutes. Let cool. In a large mixing bowl whisk in the eggs with cardamom, cinnamon until well beaten. Add the cooled milk mixture to the eggs and whisk further.
- In a buttered baking dish, scatter the diced bread and distribute the dried fruit evenly on top of the bread. Add the milk-egg mixture to the bread and fruit.
- Bake in a 325-degree oven for 25 minutes until golden brown on the outside.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, “This is the best bread pudding ever!” will be the refrain from your guest as you serve a slice of this of bread pudding with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream at the Thanksgiving table. Cheers!